Paaasta with a kick 🌶
When I first decided to become a vegetarian I was a bit concerned. Meat I’ve never been that fussed about anyway, I enjoyed chicken and have an allergy to finned fish. So really the only thing I’d actually miss would be chicken. It’s like what can you actually eat??? Well I was wrong!!
If you follow my blog you’ll see future recipes/ meals that are more than satisfying. I have just become more creative. I put meals together that I’d previously never have thought of. You know what guys I feel way more healthier than I have felt in a long time.
Last night I made Pasta a la kick!! It’s a tomato base with chili flakes. Below is my recipe. Oh and I am Celiac, so any dishes I cook are made with gluten free ingredients.
1. Gluten free penne – Tesco £1.15
2. Tin of organic chopped tomatoes – Tesco 0.80p
3. Wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano 200g -Tesco £3.00
4. Mascarpone 125g – Tesco £1.60 for 250g tub
5. Handful of extra mature red cheddar – any type
6. 6 cloves of organic garlic – get in your local grocery store
7. Organic chestnut mushrooms 250g – Tesco 0.79p reduces from £1.00
8. 1 while pointed sweet orange pepper – from your local grocery store
9. 2 to 3 handfuls of organic Spinach – Tesco 200g £1.50
10. 1 red onion
11. Teaspoon of Smoked paprika
12. Teaspoon of Oregano
13. Teaspoon of chili flakes (I put 2 in)
14. Salt & Pepper
15. Fresh basil (1/4 cup)
Bring to boil pan of hot water and cook your chosen pasta.
Lightly coat the pan with extra virgin olive oil. Slowly sweat the onions, pepper and mushrooms. Then add the garlic and spices/ herbs. Fry to infuse the flavors for a couple of minutes. At this point I add the tinned tomatoes and bring to the boil, allow to bubble and simmer.
After 5 mins I add the cheeses until melted. Then I toss in the spinach, cherry tomatoes and basil.
I always taste at this point and if it tastes a bit bitter I sometimes will add a teaspoon of sugar 😱 yes I know so bad for you, but only a tiny bit!!
Add your pasta to the sauce.
Ready to serve!!! I sprinkle Parmesan and black pepper on the top. Garnish with a sprig of Rosemary 👌🏻
This amount will serve 4 (at least)
Give this really simple recipe a try. It tastes amazing and is so quick to make. It’s way better than buying a supermarket brand where there are loads of hidden calories and preservatives.
As with all my food I check the health benefits before eating. I need food that’s going to give me energy, help reduce the inflammation in my body. So here are a couple of the ingredients and their benefits below.
• Spinach – we all remember Popeye and how eating spinach made him strong. Well it’s full of Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, magnesium, folate and iron. Which means it’s a great anti inflammatory, great for your skin, helps fight infection, boosts the immune system, increases circulation, the list is endless. So yup it’s a bagful of spinach for me!
• Basil – this is the king of herbs. It’s known to ease inflammation and help with joint pain, stress, anxiety, depression, diabetes and fighting cancer, to name but a few. Amazing little herb plant.
Think we can agree this is a plate full of goodness!
Thanks for reading.
Grab nature by the heals and enjoy the rest of your day!